I hear and talk about social media all the time. It appears to preoccupy my mind to the extent that when I saw this article about Link Building on Search Engine Land I almost deleted it.
But then, hang on a minute, is one not ignoring some of the fundamental basics of general site building and SEO? Indeed, I am pleased I read the article. ‘21 link builders share advanced link building queries‘ reminds us all of the importance of this practice.
If SEO/SEM can be described as a train and the various elements as carriages on that train, we are all currently sat in the first class social media carriage. Have we forgotten that we need to go back to the buffet carriage for fuel from time to time and yes the buffet carriage is link building. More terrible analogies to follow.
Anyway, it is a long article and some of it is a little tough going, but if you only find one useful piece of advice and act upon it (and that is worth saying again) and act upon it, then you will be better for it. One such piece of useful, simple advice aimed at the people sat in first class is as follows and by the way, please link to me
Finding people who will want to share your content (…including linking to it…) can be much simpler if you know how to search quickly through the major social networks.
- Linkedin: [site:linkedin.com inurl:in “social media expert”]
- Bebo: [site:.bebo.com inurl:profile inurl:bebo “social media expert”]
- CafeMom: [site:www.cafemom.com inurl:cafemom.com/home/ “stay at home mom”]
- Facebook: [site:facebook.com/people “led zeppelin”]
- Flickr: [site:flickr.com/people “@gmail”]
- Twitter: [site:twitter.com -inurl:statuses -inurl:status “social media expert”]
- MySpace: [site:profile.myspace.com inurl:myspace inurl:fuseaction “go to nc state”]
- YouTube: [site:youtube.com/user “social media expert”]