No one knows how long it’s going to take to sell their home when they put it up for sale. Market’s constant fluctuation, the time of year and even the weather can effect a potential sale. The reality is that some of the factors that affect a sale are out of your hands.
That doesn’t mean that you can’t play a major role in the selling of your property. There are always steps you can take that will increase the value of your home or to just make it stand out, should you have plenty of competition.
What’s more, giving your home that little extra appeal for prospective buyers doesn’t have to break the bank. So here are a few ideas on how you can rise above the competition without having to fit a new kitchen or build an extension.
- Remove the clutter: Whilst this may sound obvious, you would be amazed at how many home owners don’t do this before showing their property to a potential buyer. A tidy home not only looks far more appealing, it looks bigger. By simply removing anything that isn’t adding to the décor, any room can look substantially bigger, thus leaving viewers thinking they are getting much more for their money.
- Brighten up the outside porch: The saying first impressions count are as true with selling a property as anything else. Think of it from a buyer’s perspective. If they are coming to view your home the first thing they will see is the outside of your front door. A fresh lick of paint and some colourful flowers, or a nice hanging plant, can make all the difference.
- Fix minor damage to the outside: This doesn’t have to entail major renovation. Just touching up dirty paint on the exterior of the building and garden gate can make a difference.
- Paint light colours: When it comes to decorating our home many of us like to be a little diverse. However, diversity doesn’t always sell a property. If any of the rooms have dark or overly bright colours it will make a real difference if you can take the time to paint them white. Whilst it’s not the most exciting colour, it is more appealing to potential buyers, as well as making the room look bigger. Again, it will give the buyer the impression that their getting more for less.
- Fit powerful light bulbs: Another great tip is to make sure you have powerful light bulbs in that are all switched on when someone comes to view, as this will have the same effect.
If you are planning to sell your property and you’re still struggling for inspiration, why not check out some of the properties at Harrogate Estate agents. Many of them exemplify exactly what we have been discussing.